Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Purpose

Hello all! Sorry for the absence, you know work and all, which is going to be the main focus of this post. Before I start I just wanna give a shout out to Ming, Jal(in NS,but I know he can hear me,lol) and all you faithful readers of the 2 and a half men blog.

Note : I'm not going to complain about work again trust me. More like going to preach this time XD

The main issue(yes this is classified as an issue) that I want to blog about is

"Purpose"

"Why la this Cheeks so sound emo?"
"Why is purpose an issue?"
"What's his problem?"

Well I actually thought of this post while riding in the LRT on my way to work. It felt to me like I was like one of those mindless drones you see so often depicted in movies, you know the scene where you see tons of people coming in and going out the train at the same time.

"What movie are you talking about?"

you may ask and my answer to that would be, EXACTLY! Mindless drones don't have a major starring roles in a movie, because they are just there for backdrop as far as the director is concerned, agreed? Doesn't the mere thought of being a mindless drone itself scares you? Repeating the same routine everyday and practically having no time really for yourself as you slave away for an employer or even if you have your own business, you too slave yourself away, and the only motivation for this is, money. The scariest thought is that a mindless drone does not have control over their own life. They lose focus on what is really important and chase after temporary highs. Mindless drones have no purpose for their existence other than being a background for others.

It is easy to see why people change as they go through this stage of life. The reason is quite simple really, our lives are governed by money. We need money, we work for money. This is the simple fact that governs one's life when we are in the working stage of our lives. Earning money is fun. Knowing how much we can earn is the motivation. All of us would at least once in our lifetime, sit down and just predict how much we could earn this month. Its the result of the torture of repetition. But its fun, especially when we get to spend it. Now this is where the psychology comes in. We always imagine what we could buy or what we could get ourselves with the money at hand and always the first things that comes to minds are earthly things that fascinates us the most. Clothes, cars, houses, all these slowly come into picture, we dream about it, day and night and slowly it becomes our goal, our obsession, and the fact that we MIGHT be able to attain it one day becomes our motivation. Slowly these things replace our real goals and dreams in life. These are the temporary highs slowly takes over our lives. But who can blame us? We finally can get that beautiful car, on our own, our parents have no say in it, it would only be just a couple of months of savings and 3 years of installments. We have all sorts of this thoughts going through our mind constantly. This is how money govern our lives.

Slowly we begin to lose a sense of purpose in life, or at least I do. Everyone has dreams and aspirations. Everyone has ambitions. Why else then do we pursue education for? Because education has the power to bring us closer to our ambition, aspirations, dreams. Yet, when we have finish our education and begin to venture into the working life, how many would testify that they truly love this job and feel that they are closer to their dreams? Only a handful. The other majority would debate that they are merely taking a longer detour. This detour which we slowly find out turns out to be really procrastination and a cover up for the regrets and the hypocrisy that we got ourselves into.

I am not stating that they have given themselves in for money, but I'm merely stating that they had lost their original sense of purpose, dreams and goals. That is the main thing I want to say to everyone here, that we have to keep our dreams and purpose in life clear as so that we would not stray off the beaten path.

Here at work I really admire my boss, Mr. James. Though his post "General Manager" says otherwise, he is really in fact no different than a waiter, only with more responsibilities. Everyday I see Mr. James going through stock checks, food quality checks, cleanliness checks, checking through the sales and accounts, checking on staff progress and ultimately having to answer to his own boss or even bosses. He is no different really than myself, only that he is struggling to keep his sense of purpose. Mr. James is a true family man, that is one of his main priorities in life and I can tell. As strict as he is, the only time he breaks the rule of making personal calls is to his wife. He loves his wife, he loves his family and they all love him back as much. His wife would call and ask what time he would return, even working night shifts, after work he would return home and have supper with them or whatever. I remembered on New Years Eve, his family stayed up till 3am to wait for him to return and have supper with them together as family as how they had done for so long, a tradition he calls it. And this might come as a surprise because it is to me, is that Mr. James doesn't drink nor smoke at all. Here is a perfect example of a man that has his sense of purpose, but is struggling to keep it. Work itself takes up half of his time, while the other half he has to divide it with his family and of course sleep and other stuff. Its a struggle. Mr. James is a great person. He is more a cheerleader than a boss itself but he has his moments but who can blame him.

Dear friends, I urge you to really think about this. It might be awkward,weird or whatever but it is important. Ask yourself, Is your ambition to become a veterinarian solely based on the fact that you love animals, is that reason suffice to determine the future of your life? What if you found out you love animals but you do not like being a vet? How then? Scary isn't it. I'm not saying there wouldn't be a remedy if we make such a mistake, but as they say prevention is better than cure.

Lol, don't you worry. I'm the one who has the most pressure of not committing hypocrisy since I'm the one saying all these, and I'm sure you all would testify that this is truly written by me, regardless of my alias and all, I have no where to hide. But really I just want to point this out because I felt that I have the upper hand of experience that I want to share and ultimately hope to be able to help all of you to avoid such circumstances.

Then again I'm not a very good planner. As far as I know I had nothing planned that ever succeeded accordingly to plan. I more often than not always deal with things as they come but not everyone can afford and should risk their future by living this way. However if you really have true passion and a clear vision of what your true purpose is, and I mean NOBLE purposes, one that can make this world a better place, by all means go ahead and I pray that you will not stray off the path you make for yourself.

This world has many stories of hope and inspiration that always are a great source of motivation. I hope everyone, will make the world a better place, each one of us, by achieving our dreams.

Sorry if I might have bore all of you with yet another long post on nothing. Be assured that this blog has more to offer than just me rambling on about stupid topics haha so feel free to browse through my other one and a half's posts. This is all for now. This is Cheeks here signing off. Have a nice day and thank you for reading!

No comments: