Friday, March 28, 2008

Failed

Today was probably the most challenging days ever. Like almost every other day that I did the morning shift, I woke up in extreme anger and hatred, today was no difference, in fact it was even worse. Why?

Well me being me(the "now" me), I was flipping through the reservation book the other day and saw that on Friday(which is today), we had a 12 pax reservation. So I purposely requested to do morning shift today because I wanted to avoid that reservation. But much to my demise, yesterday Mr. James "kindly requested" me to do a few extra hours to cover up the man power because, there was another 24 pax reservation coming in, and all of them ordered the 3 course menu!(Just a gentle note, the 3 course meal is the most troublesome for the waiter and waitresses.) So yea as you can see, I "failed".

Then again, cursing doesn't seem to stop the clock from ticking away and soon I find myself in the restaurant. I was so blessed to have Margaret to help me out today so both of us did the morning shift and setup-ed the floor together. It was relatively easy because Margaret was in the mood, IMHO she did the majority share. I know, shame on me.

Lunch was the "bomb". I couldn't ask for it to be any more relaxing. We had 4 long tops plus other tables as well with 3 servers and 2 runners. It was ok, but I suppose the mindset I was in really screwed it up. By 3 it was relatively quiet and I was able to go for break.

The initial plan was that I'll go off at 5, have a 2 hour break and then come back from 7-9. I don't know, but plans for me never worked. I end up staying back and worked till 11pm. Believe it was packed. Everyone was so worked up. And remember I said that the 3 course meal is the most troublesome task for the waiter/waitresses? You want to know why? Maybe you should just try to make 6 cookies 'n' cream and 19 Friday's Sundae. You might get a clearer picture. But of course credit here goes out to Naif, Tatchana, Noel and my man of the night, Nesh! Yea man they really worked their butts off tonight.

I was able to witness another part of Mr. James today. Who would expect the joker during a busy shift, would end up being your boss? That's right, but of course don't take joker in a wrong way here, I knew he did that to really keep the atmosphere as relaxing as possible. He was just trying to calm us down and I really appreciate that, along with the other managers and colleague. Nobody freaked out. But I really felt very guilty. Lol.. weird huh? I don't know, I felt I did nothing, or rather not as much as my colleagues, even the "great" reason of "being tired after working double shifts" couldn't cover the feeling. In between I think I was quite annoying as well, so I'm sorry again.

Half way through Mr. James ask me a really good question, which I really at that time can't squeeze nothing out of my head, I wanted to be funny, but a big part of me took that question really seriously. I just simply didn't know. The question was,

"What do you want out of life?"

Believe me, talking to Mr. James is totally different, he's in his league of his own, and with that question, he single-handedly make my brain go numb. I don't know. What is it do I want out of my life, do you know what you WANT? Good question huh? Coming from a guy who calls me Cheeky Chong and Chin Peng, I would say, touché.

Well there were some high parts to my life today. Mainly was that I was able to sell out all 3 Lamb Shanks (woops secret!). Yea so there was this challenge going on that each one sold, the person who sold it gets a Johnny Walker watch. I sold 2 yesterday, trust me I wasn't greedy, but no one really got to sell it out so miraculously I was able to. But I gave out the 2 other watches away, one to Berry, and another to my man of the day, Nesh! In the process, I was able to push myself in terms of being a potential Direct Sales Agent and as well just learning how to approach people and just converse. All 3 of my customers were very friendly and they were really kind to give feedbacks.

Well that's all. I wanted to blog about my night out with Su Faye, Jessica and Esther last saturday to Grand Millenium, but I haven't got all the pictures I wanted yet, so for those who yearn pictures so much, stay tuned! Believe me, it was beyond stepping out of my comfort zone. But till then, God bless!

P.S. : LOL, Khy Li here is your update!

No comments: