Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Merengue

Hello world!

Why not you try and guess what today's post is about? No idea? Of course you don't, if not you wouldn't be here in the first place!

Haha forgive the bit of asshole-ness there. To not digress further, lets start the post with a definition, the definition of Merengue to be exact! For short, its a type of dance, for long, its a type of dance whereby :

"
Partners hold each other in a closed position. The man holds the woman's waist with his right hand while keeping his left hand/her right hand at the woman's eye level. The merengue is a two-step beat requiring both partners to bend their knees slightly left and right. This in turn makes the hips move left and right. When danced correctly, the hips of the man and woman will move in the same direction throughout the song. Partners may walk sideways or circle each other, in small steps. They can further switch to a double handfold position and do separate turns without letting go each other's hands or momentarily releasing one hand. During these turns they may twist and tie their handhold into intricate pretzels. Other choreography is possible."

Wikipedia

Get?

Lol, today was considered a great day at work I suppose. I felt very satisfied with myself (not in any way that prompts suggestive imaginations,lol) but in the sense that I felt I did my job well. I had a couple today that thanked me for suggesting a meal that was just nice for them and they said they would recommend me. Then I had this family who came in and had dinner but it was the mother's birthday so we celebrated it with her and they seemed thoroughly happy. I also noticed that their children were the ones who ran in fear of the man dubbed the "Fisherman" (me la duh, I wear a Dory fish hat for work, go figure, lol) and they also remembered me. And then probably the highlight of the day was that I actually danced with a customer! Haha it was her birthday and I don't know how but my colleagues managed to get her to dance instead of the usual singing. She adamantly demanded a partner, however the Friday's waiter and waitresses training failed to cover the part on dancing so we had no eligible dancer. But I syiok-sendiri said I would be her partner but the catch is that she will lead me in dancing. She replied that usually in dancing the man would lead the lady, but due to my inadequate dancing skills, I humbly rebutted her reply by saying I would be the lady for the night. Well from there everything was history. She got down from the chair and held my hand and she began to move. Before long I follow suit and without knowing it, I was dancing the Merengue!

Today was a truly wonderful day. Strangely enough, today we celebrated quite a few number of birthdays. We also hosted this 2 guest, a man and an old lady, whereby the man had made a reservation earlier and requested a table for 2 with flowers and slight decor. The true purpose was to celebrate his mother's 64th birthday. I felt truly honoured to be a part of it and to witness such a beautiful act of affection from a son towards his mother.

Mr. James once said,

"the only thing you cannot control in this world, is being born"

but in truth, nothing is more significant than one's birthday, the mark of one's arrival to existence and the destiny attached to them. So to all of my guest who I have so honoured to have been part of their birthday celebration, I wanna say to them happy birthday again and hope that you will be able to fulfill the destinies you have chose for yourselves.

And for those reading this, thank you and look out for me in Step Up 3! XD

No comments: