Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Anywayyy...

So again, it's that time of the year, again! That time of the year that I decide to award one of the best inventions ever invented in the history of human inventions. So what invention will take the spotlight this time? Behold,
The
GeForce4 MX 4000 64MB Video Card. Yes, this year's Invention of the Year award goes to the, in my opinion, John McClane of GPUs. You are probably thinking two things right now. The first being that this graphic card is probably the shiznit of the fo-shizzles in the graphics card world and secondly, you would think that I am an expert in this area. Well you are wrong, only if you were thinking those 2 thoughts, if not, you are correct.

This graphic card was released way back in 2002. It was not exactly the shiznit of the fo-shizzles at that time either with many other models more powerful than it though it has some measure of performance. However I'm not dishing out the award based on its performance (if you don't know by now, these awards are pretty biased) so it doesn't matter. This is after all the John McClane (the Die Hard one) of GPUs so what makes this a winner is its reliability and longevity.

I got this beast mid 2004 after convincing my dad that I wanted to use it for animation. This GPU got me involved in Lineage 2 and GTA Vice City and if you don't already know, they are quite graphics intensive games at that time. However, as the years passed it began to wear out and I could see it. Maybe its the overall performance of my computer deteriorating but I can't help feel that it also contributed. The animation promise wasn't realize until 2 months ago, 5 year later. With that sort of time being passed and obvious signs of old age, you wouldn't expect much. I didn't at least. However it got me through the project I had for LOUD09.

Though I have to give equal credit to the Tung family for accomadating me for an entire week to utilize their far superior computer. Nonetheless, this computer did much of the editing and even rendering two of the 3 videos, not in record time but given circumstances, I would say its more of a miracle. It's not over-praising when After Effects is a program quoted as " the program that is worth buying an 8-core MacPro for."

I feel like I finally understand the joy of an indie film maker achieving success with limited resources. Anyway enough of the SS post. This is the second last week of my semester already. So fast right? I know. I cannot believe it myself either. Hope to see you all soon during my break maybe. Ciao de mao!



P.S.: Only This Moment by
Royksopp


No comments: