Friday, December 25, 2009

A Part of Me Died Today

A part of me died today. Like anyone who has experienced some part of them dying, I feel very sad.

I watched Avatar today, but before I watched Avatar, I was walking around wasting time before the movie started. That was when I found out FFXIII is already out. No not the yeng alot of swords FFXIII, but it is the girl one. At that point I was quite happy and I immediately texted Ming hopefully giving him enough peer pressure to force him to buy.

Then as I walked further, I saw another game shop showing the trailer for the game. And that's when it happen. As I walked closer to take a closer look at the game in its full glory... 3 words naturally came out of my mouth in utter disbelief.. "It's so ugly" and I can assure so I wasn't very secretive about my opinion.

I mean I was just so shocked, drowning in disbelief but most of all just felt so sad because the two major elements of the game or rather any game on the PS3 actually self-destructed the game. I'm talking about the PS3's potential for awesome graphics and Blu-Ray. What I meant when I said that the game was so ugly was that it is so real that it looks so fake, so ugly. Jal would know what I'm talking about since we shared similar thoughts at the Blu-Ray movies we watched.

The graphics, design and art is everything what you expect from Square-Enix. I'm sure despite the poor sales as Ming mentioned, it will go on to be a big hit. However, I honestly think Blu-Ray isn't going to do games or even movies any good, at least in my book. When I watched the trailers and stuff in SD(standard definition) everything look so good, it felt natural, familiar somehow. But compare FFXIII with older FF titles, the feeling its just not there I feel.

I'm sure you guys probably don't get what I mean and it is probably this opinion will only be mine alone, but it really adds to my disgust of the HD revolution, all these hyper-real nonsense. Argh. Bring back SD, bring back the old times!

No comments: